Sunday, September 9, 2012

Autumn in NY

I know it is only the 9th but here in upstate the leaves on my oak tree are  already turning red. Does anyone remember the song "Autumn in New York"?
We came from Southern California to upstate NY in Jan. 1980. My Daddy had gotten transferred, and since my in-laws at the time lived in Ma. David and I and our 2 boys came East with them.
That was almost 33 years ago.
This may be hard to follow but for me there is always a thread of how I reached different points in my crazy world.
The boys loved the snow, Joe was 10 Stewart 2.  I had never driven in the white stuff and  was a little nervous. It took a while to get comfy but by the next Winter we were settled in a little town called Argyle. I got stuck in the snow several times but there was always a farmer who pulled me out.
My parents lived 45 minutes South in Albany and my-in-laws 3 1/2 hours South East down by the Cape.
The first Autumn was breathtaking that's when my mother got out her old records and found Johnny Mathias or maybe It was Frank Sinatra singing "Autumn leaves."
Yesterday I sat out in my front yard with Brad and Heather looking at the sky and looked at the beautiful leaves. And reflected. Heather is now in middle school the others are all on their own, Daddy is with the Lord .
I wish Mommy was sitting outside with me drinking her "Tab" talking about years gone by and sharing what each of her grandchildren and great grand children were doing. She loved Fall mostly because it meant Christmas was coming closer. That was her favorite time of year!
I think I'l go to "You Tube" and see if I can find someone singing "Autumn leaves" and cry  some more. I so hate Alzheimer's!

No comments:

Post a Comment