Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rachel earns her Master's Degree

My Daddy dropped out of high school to join the Navy in WWII.I didn't know that until I was a teenager. He served our country for 25 years he retired as a Master Chief (radioman). He went to work for an upcoming computer company called Control Data in the beginning they were IBM's main competition. HE wrote and designed software.After several years there they wanted to promote him, that is when we all found out Daddy was a high school dropout. He very quietly went to night school got his GED and went to college, he got the promotion. Education was so important to Daddy. While I was watching my sweet daughter receive her degree I thought Daddy would be so very proud of her.As Horrid as Alzheimer's is the death of a beloved parent is just as bad. Even though my Mom has no clue what goes on I want to believe that Daddy looked down from Heaven this morning and watched his sweet,smart and beautiful granddaughter get her Master's Degree in Cultural Anthropology. Tuesday (15th) I sat at my doctor's office waiting for a test to be taken. A lovely older woman was talking away to Brad and I. After several minutes I had to ask her (a very tacky question) how old she was. She smiled a beautiful smile and said with great energy, " I am 83 years young!" You in blogland know what comes next...That should be my mother, my plan was so different than our reality. As I am sure for each of you,your plan was to have "happily ever after"...but alas that is not her (our) destiny... My Mother always loved a hot bubble bath when she got home from her shift at the OR. I would run her tub while she would pour herself a cold coke, grab a magazine and then slide into the tub. Sometimes if she worked a double shift half way through her bath she would yell for me. The bubbles covered all but her face and she would ask me about my day, I didn't not appreciate that time until the other day.Once again the phone rang,Cindy the day charge nurse called. Mom was found sitting in a bathtub naked, no water,no bubbles just sitting there looking around.Another thing stolen by the Alzheimer's! Deep sigh of sadness. Good night all, and God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. After study a few of the posts on this website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it and will be checking back soon.

    earn high school diploma online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you very much for the kind words.

      Delete